Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: 904-8A rediculous epay auction

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230075819684

    Check this out.

    904's have symbiotic diaphrams.....

    904's are not studio monitors, they are high power sound re-inforcement speakers.

    Change the diaphragms to GPA alum replacements, remove the loading caps, and line the rear cover with felt and they become WONDERFUL speakers.

    I bought mine for $400 on epay.....and this guy will likely get $1100 from some uninformed buyer......

    I remember when there were good deals to be had......

    Ron

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ January 11, 2007 10:29 AM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    904-8A rediculous epay auction


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The 904 is basically the 604 HP. They need redone, but the end result is quite good.

    I wouldn't pay more than $600 or so for a pair.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    They sold for 1200 buy it now.
    Man, I could make over a grand on my pair....they have already been re-done. But I like them too much.
    Ebay has connected the buyers with the sellers, and has connected the sellers with the idiots.
    So be it.
    Kudos to the seller here, I was mistaken about the pricing.
    Clearly now a sellers market.....
    Ron

  4. #4
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The word Auction envokes emotions in people that start controlling their thinking process.

    Many years ago I was looking for a new table saw. I started going to some auctions. After going to 3 of them I stopped going.

    Here's a typical example of just ONE item.

    There was this 10yo Delta 10" contractors saw at auction. It was in GOOD condition..not perfect..but still had a lot of life in it. I stopped bidding at $300....It went for OVER $1100. The guy who bought it was standing right next to me. When the auction was over I told him he could buy the EXACT same saw NEW for less then $900 at Home Depot. He cursed me out...and told me I didn't know what I was talking about...and that this saw sells for $2000. No reasoning with idiots.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    904-8A rediculous epay auction


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    It's obvious they are decent once redone.

    And the logic of why we should thank someone for gouging seems silly.

    These are NOT studio monitors. They are sound reinforcement speakers.

    At the price he charged they were not a good deal.

    You could buy a pair of blown up 604's and have them redone for less than what it would have cost to finish these.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ January 11, 2007 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    904-8A rediculous epay auction


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Also Mr Gonzo please note- i do not consider a few hundred dollars to be minor- on top of that you STILL have the sound reinforcement cones in the woofer section. They SHOULD be redone also.

    They would be usable with only the diaphraghm upgrade, but would still not be 604's. To make them 604's requires redoing the wooffer. Suddenly it becomes hundreds of dollars.

    To make these into 604's would take at least 600-700 dollars.

    There was a beatifull pair of Alnico 604's for less than these would have cost.

    Frankly- what do 604's cost NEW from GPA? I would have bought that before considering these.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member grasshopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2006
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The market value is just that: Value. If the seller valued them enough to price them high, it was because he didn't want to settle for less. RonSS said it best:

    'I could make over a grand on my pair....they have already been re-done. But I like them too much.'

    So now- how much would you sell yours for, Ron???

    Another thing - If someone wants to pay that much, it doesn't automatically mean that he or she is 'uninformed'! I looked at that seller's feedback and it looks very good. Perhaps the buyer just wanted to do business with him.

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ January 11, 2007 10:31 AM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Post

    I have apologized in a private email to the seller.
    And I apologize here publicly for stirring the pot on this board.

    I was simply amazed at the price given that I bought mine a couple of years ago, pristine and complete with the crossovers for $400. On Ebay.

    Given that these sold very quickly for the asking price, I gather that is what they are worth to that buyer. There is no shortage of folks with more money to spend than I have.

    As far as selling mine, I think I'll keep them. I went to the effort to upgrade the diaphrams, improve the crossovers and build custom cabinets.

    The 904's BTW are rare, I have seen but a few sets on Ebay over the years.

    Hopefully, my apology will be accepted.

    Ron

  9. #9
    Inactive Member grasshopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2006
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    RonSS,

    Nice job!

    I like it when people are man enough to apologize. Very cool.

    And hey look at it this way: Your gear is worth more than you thought it was!! Appreciate the appreciation!

    cheers.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Steve Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2006
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Very cool RonSS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.